Thread: Choosing the right software option

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the replies! Fox Lee...I wouldn't say that intuitive is a 'problem.' I just had the wrong expectaitons with CC3. I think I realize now that In order to make some real quality maps (such as my limited abilities might allow) will take lots of work and patience. I thought, perhaps, that CC3 might allow for some ...bing..bang...boom you've got a great looking map...kind of work...I was expecting a quick turnaround on map creation...but that would just have resulted in sloppy maps...I ended up using hexographer because it allowed me to produce a practical map for my campaign and I was able to throw it together in a reasonably quick timeframe. I'm just not satisfied with it 'artistically' and I'd love to make something that I'm proud to look at. Looking at some of the work here on the guild is definitely inspiring. I am not familiar with photo shop at all...never used GIMP either...In fact...I've only ever drawn maps by hand up til now. But a month ago I had never heard of CSS and now I'm putting together a site over on the Obsidian Portal...so...I'm pretty sure I can learn...

Korash...do I have to refer to my self as a "gimper" if I go with GIMP...how about a gimpy...or just a gimp....am I gimping while I'm at work? ...ok sorry...getting carried away...thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by dlaporte7271 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Fox Lee...I wouldn't say that intuitive is a 'problem.' I just had the wrong expectaitons with CC3. I think I realize now that In order to make some real quality maps (such as my limited abilities might allow) will take lots of work and patience.
    Ah, well then, I would expect GIMP will suit you nicely It definitely rewards the sort of person who has a well-developed self-teaching mechanism ;p

Korash...do I have to refer to my self as a "gimper" if I go with GIMP...how about a gimpy...or just a gimp....am I gimping while I'm at work? ...ok sorry...getting carried away...thanks again!
    I've always liked "GIMP pimp" myself :p Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

I expect that I will be giving GIMP a try as part of the decision making process. One thing I will say...even though the hex map I made in Hexographer isn't as artistically appealing, I still own my original Greyhawk...poster sized hex maps of Oerth and I love those things....lot's of hour sending PC galloping across the Flaeness. Anyway...I'm thinking that I will still make use of hex maps for the campaign...but I'd like to have ....uh..."gimp pimped" out versions of the maps for style, flavor and artistic value.

BTW...what exactly does a "GIMP pimp" wear?