Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dungeon Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Another cavern map (click to enlarge)...
    Love the cavern maps!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Yup and you can thank the following book for the inspiration behind these maps.

On a new layer (under the main dungeon wall layer), I selected the area that I wanted to colour with the select tool (polygonal lasso in this case). I then subtracted the bit from the selection where the above corridor went over it. I then used the paint bucket tool to fill the selected area with a grey colour. I turned the layer's blending options to 'multiply' so you can see the grid underneath it. I made sure that the layers that had the doors and pit traps were above the grey layer. That's all I did to get that effect. I use the same technique to create water layers (but use blue instead of grey). Not much to it.

I'm working on it.
    Very cool idea! I love how you made the connection and leap to dungeon. That is a great thing to consider when we are stumped on ideas. Thank you. Repped.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks for the rep, RPMiller. I'll be doing more cavern maps in the future once I get done with this mega-dungeon. As for the book I'm using as my inspiration, it has maps of the various areas of Tokyo and when I first looked at the book, I remember thinking that some of those maps would make excellent fantasy town maps (another I want to try in the near future).

When I first saw this book at the library, I instantly had the idea of making fantasy based maps from it but I ended up putting the book back on the shelf (I already had my limit of books I was checking out). I ended up thinking about that book all week so when I went back to the library I grabbed it and the rest is history.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

This dungeon map continues from the stairway of Area 11 of the "Level 3A" map (Dungeon-045.jpg):

This map was inspired by the Ueno-Asakusa line of the Tokyo Subway system. The blue represents water. I envision the pit trap in Area 21 to be a collapsing bridge trap or perhaps a covered pit trap that locks the victim inside and then floods. The dotted line between rooms 17 & 18 represents an illusionary wall.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I've expanded the layout map with the latest finished level. It would look like this...

Level 4B would start its own layout map.
    Cheers,
    Tim

This map continues from the stairway of Area 13 of "Level 3B" dungeon map (Dungeon-046.jpg):

This map was inspired by the Ikebukuro-Arakawa line of the Tokyo Subway system.
    Cheers,
    Tim

This map continues from the stairway of Area 21 of the last map (Dungeon-048.jpg):

This map was inspired by the Meguro-Shinagawa line of the Tokyo Subway system.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Wow... you've been busy

I love it ... False doors... I think false doors should be used more often by dungeon designers Its fun watching a party try to get one open .... they figure since it won't open it has to be important! ..

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Wow... you've been busy

I love it ... False doors... I think false doors should be used more often by dungeon designers Its fun watching a party try to get one open .... they figure since it won't open it has to be important! ..
    Heh heh, one of my favourite tricks is to have the "false" door be a real door that is locked and when it gets open, there is a stone/brick wall behind it with some sort of trap built in it (spear trap/acid trap/fireball tap/etc).

I'm about half way through my map book so I have many more maps on the way.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I like that fill you used for the stone.... is that from playing around with filter effects?

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast