Thread: Mahdran - CC3 - MMORPG World Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

The only MMORPG I sort of play now is LoTRO since I bought in as lifetime when it was in Beta, LOL. I actually don't even have it loaded on a computer right now. DragonRealms was my addiction for a very long time, text based. I had the first barbarian to reach 100th level there, talk about insane. I am currently designing my own PnP RPG and campaign world while also writing fiction and trying to get my little winery off the ground... so! little time for that.

But anyhow, depending on the actual symbol count that can really bog down CC3. The clutter problem is really in the fact that they are symbols and not really to be interpreted as 1 for 1 details. Therefore, not necessary. I think one of the greatest examples of that are Fenlon's maps for MERP, which CC3 does have a symbol set out for. Fenlon was an early master of RPG maps, simple yet informative and very attractive. If you were doing a pseudo-satellite style then high detail is an expectation, but this style of map doesn't beg for it. If you've seen LoTRO's maps of Middle Earth (Particularly the world overview) you can also get a good example of detail without clutter. In the instance of your map I think a person can lose the content in the detail. Much like writing a novel, if you bury a really important piece of information in a giant paragraph of exposition and description of setting, a whole lot of people are going to be skimming and miss it, LOL.

Unless you are just utterly addicted to how your rivers flow, I don't see where this map couldn't be made more realistic with minimal changes. And content is good, but never underestimate the affect of seamless transitions from regions that don't mesh well with people's expectations of nature.

What platform are you looking at for a potential MMO?
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Veld, when you talk about cluster, do you mean the cluster for the use of a symbols? Or the cluster of how many different landscapes there are? Or both? Like the eathanu said I used the scrub symbol to much in the Mu'jinx Plains. I use that symbol for grasslands. I don't particularly like any of the grassland textures or just leaving it blank. So I use that scrub symbol for the desired texture.

If you guys mean that there are too many different types of landscapes that won't change, but if the cluster you're talking about is the over use of symbols in different areas, I think I can improve that. If that is the case can you give me some examples where you think symbols for a particular area or areas that look over crowded?

I actually think I have Peter Fenlon's annual. His style was okay. I get what you mean about the paragraph analogy. I can see how my map can be overwhelming to the eye because of the massive amount of different areas.

If I had an investor, I'd like establish the mmo for PC. Right now, the mmo design is just a hobby that I've been working on for a very long time heh ;p