@Ramah - This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately. Now that I'm getting in the ball park of being able to spring for it. I'm a cautious spender I guess. I do have plans to pursue more than maps with it however. I have a vision for a series of pieces more along the lines of my Bluebird or Bobcat. Of course, that's saying I actually get the blocks of time to do it. In the end I hope someday to sell my current business and do art.

In the end I believe it will pay for itself....eventually. Of course, that being said, I might be just as happy with one of the Intous4 except I do prefer to draw on what I'm looking at instead of in my lap while watching my monitor. (Of course, I do that currently with my mouse). It still feels better to me to look at what I'm drawing.

I have been reading reviews of the Cintiq especially the ones who are not just screaming about how cool it is. I like the professional artists' opinions because they seem to be more balanced than the purely tech-heads who just love to have the latest thing.
What I seem to be getting is that there honestly are not any other options available. That it is over priced but if you use it then you won't be sorry for the money spent. I have yet to hear anyone who just hated it. The biggest complaints are that it eats up a lot of desk (not a problem for me) and it's hefty price.

As for price, I don't buy a lot of toys like most of my friends so when I do I try to make sure they are good. I will be very disappointed if I don't like it but it's not like I've been wasting money on stupid stuff all along. It would be one bad investment that I will remember for a long time but my wife couldn't hold it over my head.

I might still chicken out and get an Intuos but I kind of feel like I deserve this. It sounds like a jerk thing to say but I have held off for a couple years now and it's still one of those things I really desire. Most of time if you put a purchase off you tend to waver and not buy the item. It's not the case so far.

And finally, if someone can talk me out of this purchase please do because it would save me a little pile of cash