Thread: Tilted Earth Reconstruction by Depperoni

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Yeah, I thought about that one too. A flyby of an enormous meteorite maybe, or some other gravitational anomaly. Any impact that would be big enough to tilt the planet this much, would sterilize the surface though.

I'm considering keeping it a mistery all together. This'll allow me to tweak the pattern of extinction a lot easier, omit traces like craters or disrupted orbits and just focus on the reconstruction. I'm looking many tens of thousands of years later anyway and whatever did it, was only a rough plot device. In say 50 000 years even something causing only a gradual change over time could have had this impact. It may actually be a fun challenge to keep the cause open for others to figure out

Guild Novice

One thing to think about is changes in winds. Not sure though how much it would affect the climat system. An exemple is the wind between the 40th and 50th parallel south (Roaring Forties and Furious Fifties). In your map there is now antartica stopping the "draught".
    Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars...

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

That is exactly what I'm focussing on now!
    Indeed the flow surrounding and isolating Antarctica now is interrupted in the Tilted Earth, which could actually result in a more efficient energy transport to the South Pole, thawing this side of the planet.
    One thing I'm not sure about is the energy balance around the Southern tip of Africa. As long as the ocean currents can go over it, they may protect Southern Africa against Polar air masses. Turn down the temperature a little bit, the currents get blocked and you might be looking at an African iceage. At the tipping point, you could have a surprising climate in Southern Africa, with warm wet summers and very cold dry winters. In any case, it will make all the difference for Madagascar.

At the same time the former warm Gulf Stream is pressed Southwards by the tilted North American continent, forcing it along a far longer route to Siberia. On one hand it is stuck in the roaring forties, which would result in a stronger current and more severe Westerly storms, stimulating a good marine climate around it on the American and Eurasian continents. On the other hand, by the time it reaches Siberia, it has been in colder lattitudes for so much longer than the actual Gulf Stream, that it might not be as efficient in warming the place up enough for a temperate climate, resulting rather in a subpolar marine climate.

Adding to this, that in the Tilted Earth, the South Pole is mostly marine and the North Pole mostly terrestial, this geography seems to result in a cold Northern hemisphere Vs. a warmer Southern hemisphere. This part of the reconstruction is also very interesting for exploring the thermohaline circulation theory and it's effect on the global climate.