Thread: height field to sphere?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

documenting progress as such..

"equirectangular" projection commonly used for spherical height fields in ray tracing.

mapped to 4096 by 2048.. one octave takes my 1.6g about 11 seconds..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	musgrave1.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	45127

proof of sphericality - imported to pov-ray, map_type 1

Name:	spherical.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	45128

8 octaves took 60-70 seconds. should i ever release this as an app, preinstallation requirements will include a bong (which i do not have) because there's no bloody way anyone's sticking around for it to finish otherwise.

Name:	ridged.png 
Views:	1172 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	45126

currently depending on manual editing to inhibit continents being a bunch of windy lines. considering a voronoi type process to define plates. i'd like to try an evolutionary algorithm that rotates the plates and/or produces aggregation or what have you. deliberating how involved i want to get considering the research.. fishing for a simpler solution (which could resolve to manual editing..)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
    currently depending on manual editing to inhibit continents being a bunch of windy lines. considering a voronoi type process to define plates. i'd like to try an evolutionary algorithm that rotates the plates and/or produces aggregation or what have you. deliberating how involved i want to get considering the research.. fishing for a simpler solution (which could resolve to manual editing..)
    Yeah I did some digging into voronoi algorithms on the surface of a sphere too, but didn't get very far. The only implementation I recall finding was part of a pack of tools written in FORTRAN.