Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *** May Challenge - Draw a Map by Hand ***

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

If no-one minds, I'd like to try that too. I *have* shot myself in the foot a bit by choosing A3, but I have to in order to accommodate a bigger map. My pens are too thick and my scanner too small to do much else, and my rather lame defence is that I draw so few maps, I felt this one should probably follow the same theme as an earlier piece of work.

Well, live and learn; I'll do what I can to get a digital camera shot to go alongside, like Jaxilon suggests, and I'll consider sticking to villages and stuff for the next challenge.
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Easky30's Avatar

Would a hand drawn map based on a book or movie violate any of the copyright rules for the challenge?

I don't think so, fan art is usually not a copyright violation. Of course, if you were going to sell it then you might be headed into some problems.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Easky30's Avatar

Thank you for clearing that up. My idea is to create a street map of a city from Game of Thrones and what it would look like today with streets, highways and railroads etc.

Well, great, not only did I have extra work I had to take care of on Saturday but we got slammed by family and friends. Now I feel like I am really behind. I did a bunch of experimenting and I know what I want to do now but it's all going to depend on how much time I can squeeze out of the evenings this week. Also this weekend is ComicCon in Phoenix so I think myself and a buddy may be going to check that out. If so I'm really under the crunch and not sure if I can get all of my project together on time.

Figures that you suddenly get all kinds of life when you have something you really want to do
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

"Figures that you suddenly get all kinds of life when you have something you really want to do".. I think it must be your karma at work I've only been on this forum for a "relatively" (internet wise) short time, but the amount of feedback and
    number of entries is really impressive. This ought to be a recurring challenge. The voting part of this challenge is going to stress all of us. Oops. just spotted the "regular" in the challenge description.
    Last edited by maxsdaddy; 05-24-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ok ... I was planning on closing this challenge tomorrow night, but then Jax mentioned the 31st. So, what does everyone think? A couple more days, or should it end tomorrow so that we can get voting done by the 31st and start a new challenge on the 1st?

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I'd be glad of having a few extra days for finishing touches.

Well, I'm all for a few more days myself but according to the rules which I just double checked since I didn't really remember:

Entry deadline - Entries for each Challenge must be posted prior to the last five days of that particular Challenges month.
    That said, I would at least like to be able to get my entry scanned in tomorrow and posted but whatever is fair to all gets my vote.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yeah, definitely you'd have time to scan and such; I was planning on closing the challenge between 11pm and midnight tomorrow night. Hm. Split the difference and close it Monday night?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast