Thread: Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial - Revised Presentation + Actions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK Now I feel like a super noob Thanks Kindari, right select the "thumbnail" image NOT the grey area to the right hand side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SelectThumbnail.png 
Views:	392 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	46638

So only addition I can think of so far would be add a little section up the top of your guide…perhaps
    PLEASE READ!!!: Although this tutorial should actually help the reader to understand Photoshop, if you’re really new to PS then its probably a good idea to have a look at the following videos.

With a couple YouTube links to some 101 stuff

BTW thanks very much for the help and quick response Kindari, really appreciate it.

Cheers
    Korbs

Every time I try to open the file, it just opens Photoshop. What's wrong? I really want to learn to make a map that looks the way the one in the picture does.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Hello. Cheers for all the amazing work, I have found that this is a wonderful way to get into cartography. The instructions were very clear and I found it an amazing learning process. I have made about 4 maps now, each time changing little bits and pieces but I have come up with a few features I would like to add in that I don't quite have the experience to know how to implement and at what times would be best to chuck them in.

I would like to add beaches where land mass touches the water. The best way I thought of doing this was to create a separate layer with a coloured cloud filter that was cut from the Base layer and then contracted 1 pixel but I'm not quite sure how to work with the mapping to make this apply properly.

I fiddled around with the size of the chisel for the mountains and found increasing the number to around 50 gave a really defined set of mountains. I have a few on my map that level off the at the top rather than form some really cool peaks which I assume is an interaction between the cloud render and the effects and because of them they somewhat make the other mountains seem smaller in scale. I have had a fiddle but cant seem to get some really huge peaks so any help with fitting in those would be cool.

I also found if you put a cloud layer between the hills and the mountains you can get some really cool storm effects but again I'm not quite sure the best way to localise these around specific mountains.

I will chuck in some images from my latest map so you can get a better idea, the third map in the section is the one I want to try adding these features to, I was trying some alternate ways to put in rivers here by cutting them in all the way back in the base map. From being a complete novice with Photoshop to having some ideas of the tools and effects in just a few maps is really neat testament to the work you put into your tutorial. Cheers for all your work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Part 3 Done.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	62588 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas Two.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	62587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good Mountains.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	62585 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Storms.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	62586
    Last edited by Daniel Morgan; 03-24-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Guild Applicant

Default A big thank you

Just wanted to give credit where credit was do and thank you for this!

Very well done... I am using the color solution for my new map