Hey Korbs,

I'll explain a little extra because you'll run into this type of step several times...

I've tried to use as "official" as terminology as I can think of, but sometimes that's still pretty confusing. A "selection" in Photoshop refers to when you draw a selection box, circle, or other shape to select some of the pixels. Unless there's an error in my tutorial (which I gladly admit to if found!) when I say "selection" I'm referring to selecting some pixels.

You're doing it half right. After creating "Layer 1", Layer 1 is selected. When you hold Ctrl and click layer "Base", the results depend on *where* you clicked. If you click the name or the empty area in the layers panel next to the name, you get the results you described (both "Layer 1" and "Base" are selected). If this was what I wanted to do, I probably would have worded the step differently. I would have said "Select layer Layer 1 and layer Base --- Layers panel -> ctrl + click layer name.

Alternatively (and this is what I intended), when you hold ctrl and click the *thumbnail* of a layer, that layer's shape will be selected in the image canvas area. You should see the dotted line (sometimes called "marching ants") outlining the shape of your land. Layer 1 will still be the "selected layer", but the "selection" on the image canvas will be the shape of layer Base.

From there, Step 33 will modify that selection shape.

I did notice I didn't put (layer "Layer 1") at the end of Step 32 which indicates that layer "Layer 1" should be selected when you ctrl + click layer "Base" thumbnail. I'll update that later perhaps.

I hope this helps, and feel free to reply if it doesn't explain all the way. Thanks!