Thank you one and all for the comments. I did start playing around with the Ascension Atlas Style for Gimp tutorial but got stuck part way in. It references some of the steps directly from the Photoshop version that don't translate well. In particular how to create a new Gradient to add to a Transparency layer. The suggestion to create a WIP thread, I think, will be incredibly useful.

2 Quick questions though:
1) Is there a general usage sticky somewhere that tells you how to choose which is the 'correct' forum? I would assume if it is a World Map that I would post under the World Map forum? Or would I be looking to post under the Tutorial or some How-To forum?

2) I may be able to get my hands on Photoshop - would I be better to dive into Photoshop or stick with Gimp, as far as easy of use, ease of learning and availability of tutorial material? From what little I've been able to glean so far (there is SO much data here on this site it will take me weeks to sift through it all) it appears there may be a stronger percentage of Photoshop users and support than that for Gimp.

Thanks again folks! Great welcome.