I was pretty much in your same boat when I joined. I'm also an older sort around here...grrrr. I had given up pursuing art and gone into the technical field and worked in IT. Oddly enough I had zero idea of how to do anything artistic digitally when I joined here. Have to check my info but I think it's been a couple years since I joined. Over the decades I would from time to time draw a picture just to see if I could still could but other than that I wasn't really pursuing anything in art. I got here for the same reason as you, I wanted to create my gaming world in the digital realm. LOL, I'm still meaning to get to that but I love this community and have learned a ton. I'm still using GIMP and other than really wishing I had a tablet I'm pretty happy with what I can create now.

I'm sure you will love it here. Having a bit of artistic talent is just going to make it all the more fun for you. If you want help start up a WIP thread in the appropriate location and you most likely get some great advice.