Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May 2012 Entry: A Map of Penance City

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Hahah, that is an odd one. I often wonder if the Amazon seller just put the decimal point in the wrong place. I don't particularly mind either way, Jaxilon, but I suppose an ink discussion might be useful to someone else who's viewing this challenge but not necessarily snooping on me.

I'm kind of chuffed if you felt that way, RjBeals! Now, I really should stop playing my Forsaken warlock of an evening, and get back to inking myself, if there are only ten days to go...
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

I appear to have inked myself into a right predicament. In my plan to do as I did with this one's sister map, and digitise it later, I have entirely forgotten to leave space for hand-drawn labelling. Given that I can't really fix this without starting the map again (leaving space for lettering, which will then set it apart from my previous map): will anyone mind if I start a fresh project and rename this topic accordingly, once I know what to call it?
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Sure, just post when ypu decide, and we'll rename

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnyo View Post
    I appear to have inked myself into a right predicament. In my plan to do as I did with this one's sister map, and digitise it later, I have entirely forgotten to leave space for hand-drawn labelling. Given that I can't really fix this without starting the map again (leaving space for lettering, which will then set it apart from my previous map): will anyone mind if I start a fresh project and rename this topic accordingly, once I know what to call it?
    Can you digitally scan your map, if not, can you digitally scan anything? If possible, I would use tracing paper for proper size and placement and do your hand-drawn labels separately from your map. Once done, digitally scan your labels including 'clear space' behind the labels to place on top of the map.

Although I haven't found time to participate in this Challenge due to real life (and maps I need to create for several publications.) I generally do all hand-drawn work but create the elements separately, digitally scanned and composited to a final map. It's how I do it normally - and how I'd fix your predicament. It's an easy fix if you have access to a scanner.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Or just create your labels on a separate sheet, cut them out and use a glue stick to place them and then scan or photograph that.

You are always free to scratch and start over completely it's not a problem but would hate to see you chuck all your work out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks for the tips!

Ugh, I'm not sure if I'm going to make the deadline on either map. The former won't get thrown out, whatever happens - I always intended to colour it digitally later - but I'm not sure I want my second attempt to see the light of day. It's been fun to draw because it feels like the maps I used to draw as a child, but it looks it, too. Lettering is not my strong suit, and my pen is too thick. It's illegible! Well, all part of a good learning experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03971.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	44978
    (From a couple of days ago)

I'll see how much I can fit in this week to get Penance City done. If it's within the rules, then assembling the lettering some time around scanning might just be the key, but if not I guess I'll go for a Terry "Aerius" Maranda kind of vibe, as I love his map of Carthusal.

Am I right in thinking the deadline is Saturday?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

We usually try to end challenges at the end of a weekend rather than in the middle, so I'm planning on closing the challenge Sunday night.

Good luck! I really like the style of your other maps so I hope you finish this.

Just thought I'd post a nervous update from yesterday, since it looks like I'll have to abandon my entry. Things keep cropping up to stymie my production of an actual map ahead of a weekend away, but I've had fun and learned lots! I think I'll manage to finish inking my basic map before leaving on Saturday, but the cartouche is as distant a wish as the shading, and I've already messed up any hopes of labelling. On the positive side, I did finally buy a replacement set of fineliners, so I have my superfine and medium back!

I'll just have to plan my next challenge better.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03982.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	45071

This is so cool looking I can't wait to see it done. I hope you somehow find a way to finish by the 31st. Even if you don't keep at it as this is a very nice piece.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12