Quote Originally Posted by Terokai View Post
Hey all,

So I am running a campaign and I love making maps but trying to find exact tokens or landscapes buildings or maps in general is a real pain. I would love to make most of my own stuff but I am rather new to the field. The current program I am using is maptool because hey, its free. Any suggestions for programs that work well with maptool / can replace it for generating maps?

Thanks
I have done some of the development in MapTool over the past few years, so I have a rather important question you need to answer before you continue. What is your intended use of the maps you make? If it's MapTool , then you should likely NOT use GIMP to make large maps since they will eat up your system RAM in MapTool and worse if your playing over the net would be huge and take a long time to download to clients. MapTool works best when using a fairly small number of tileable textures or png "objects" that are "tiles".

Now, if you want to make something for a website, general computer viewing, or printing then GIMP is free and really good piece of software.