Thread: A Giant Continent Request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey there!
    If I weren't so busy right now, I'd probably jump in and draw. =(

One thing I'll point out, tentatively--because I'm not positive... but I think that when you have a really massive continent, like what you're aiming for, much of it will be desert. Unless, of course, it's magical. But, prevailing winds, rain patterns, etc...

When rain hits tall mountains, most, if not all, of the water runs back down the near side of the hill, and the other side of the mountain range gets the rain shadow (little/no rain) so it's extremely dry. Look at the Amazon basin; it gets all the rain from the Atlantic, the mountain range stops it, and parts of the western spit of land on the other side of them are about the driest places you can find on Earth. Himalayas, too. Your inland sea might survive, if the mountains surrounding it hold its rain water in. Seasonal changes in weather patterns would probably make some of the outer/far-side areas a bit more fertile than a sand box, but... Drat. I can't remember the tutorial or website where I learned all this. Perhaps someone else on here knows what's what.

That "small scale" jargon. That is so confusing. Good luck with the map making, and climate patterns.

Oh, also... The location of your continent in relation to the equator of your world is a factor. If it's on the equator then you'd likely get rain from more directions and so it'd be wetter all around. If it's in one hemisphere, near a pole, not so much.
    Last edited by Chashio; 06-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.