Thread: Castle Plans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Clockwise going down...

(BTW - nice castle map !)

Nice flipped picture.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Nice flipped picture.
    No really - I kid you not... it seems odd to me but this is as it comes out of the camera.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-23-2008 at 08:12 PM.

I did a lot of research on Stairs and whatnot for Castle, and the majority of Stairs were Clockwise as they went down.

The reasons were manyfold, most being that a Defender could be relatively unhampered on their sword arm for swinging (not needing to worry about a wall). For narrow stairs, (like those pictured) the enabled a defender to have a wall to their left, put their shield in front, and then be able to swing to their right towards the centre of the stair, and swing over and above a defender.

Also, the doorways were lower than we would expect. In the past, this lead historians to believe that people were a lot shorter then, but that is actually false. We are actually shorter on averge now then we have been in the past at some times in history. I was at the Smithsonian a few months back and they had silhouettes of men/woman for points in history to show how big the were. Anyways, doorways in Castles were lower for the purpose of defense. A low Doorway forced an attacker to need to 'stoop' to come through, and by stooping their defenses were not as good, and their ability to attack was quite lessened.

Some interesting stuff.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I did a lot of research on Stairs and whatnot for Castle, and the majority of Stairs were Clockwise as they went down.

The reasons were manyfold, most being that a Defender could be relatively unhampered on their sword arm for swinging (not needing to worry about a wall). For narrow stairs, (like those pictured) the enabled a defender to have a wall to their left, put their shield in front, and then be able to swing to their right towards the centre of the stair, and swing over and above a defender.

<snip>
    Also, it just occured to me that the width of the steps in a spiral staircase are much smaller towards the axis. So it makes sense the push the attacker towards the axis which gives him less sure footing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    No really - I kid you not... it seems odd to me but this is as it comes out of the camera.
    Oh, I believed you. I learned long ago for every rule there is an exception.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.