Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Elyden map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I guess its true that i dislike this Kind of font in a subjective point of view. Somehow it screams at me, typographicly spoken, "wrong" into the face. Fonts and Borders with embossy have the Same effect on me.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

I am working on the embossed effects and, in particular, the borders, though I'm having a hard time finding something that fits in with the character I've come up with for the region that created the map.

also, here's a link to a (temporarily coloured version) of the map as it stands now. the keys are about half converted to the new version though i'm not 100% happy with them (particularly the black colour i chose for the ruins, places of interest, religious site, penumbral region and the white i chose for the firmaemntal site keys -they either need inverted borders or a new colour as they dont stand oput enough from the map itself.

the mountains are largely done (though i need to lower the contrast to make the text stand out against them more - as it is now, anything labelled on the mountains is too difficult to read), and the forested regions are beginning to take shape though with the paper effect need more work and need something to pop a bit more (certainly no individual trees for the forst - im not too keen on that style and it doesnt fit in with the culture of the nation that produced the map to illustrate trees individually - besides, its a dying world and true virgin forests are largely dead).

as for the water im thinking of making it very subtle, if coloured at all - i quite like it like this.

keep in mind that im working in the map in B&W and will add the paper texture and colours fully once its done - this is just a temporary thing (as other pics so far have been) to give a taste of what im looking for. perhaps thats my problem - working in B&W? maybe i should be working in colour from the get-go?
    please let me know what you think
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-16-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Try to work in the Mountains in darkbrown tones, this wont messup the teansparency with overlaying textures, and still take out some of the contrasts.

that's just what I meant about working in B&W... the thought never occured to me to try a colour other than something greyscale. i really need to get out of that mindset as I think I'm inadvertently limiting myself.

thanks

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

This is one of the very best maps I have seen. The shape of the landmass is awesome.

My hat is off to you, good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    This is one of the very best maps I have seen. The shape of the landmass is awesome.
    thanks though there's a long ways to go ye and probably a lot or re-iteration of the same thing (particularly with regards to the key and other niggling details).

I'v attached a pic of the current WIP progress (no different to the previous post, i just simply actually added the map to the post this time, though the link in the previous post is slightly higher res

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW - inner sea - map.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	46636
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-17-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Absolutely beautiful, the hand-drawn elements (i.e. the mountains) are breath taking.

Thanks for the Tips.

Did you changed the mountain colors already? Have you thought about adding forests? I agree on hightlighten the points of interests they some kind of beeing difficult to see.

Haven't changed the mountains yet but I certainly will, and I'm looking for a subtle texture for the forest and something to make the key pop out more

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stunning Repped !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast