Thread: Elyden map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

so, i downloaded this programme and, after some problems getting 64-bit java installed on my laptop, managed to get some maps generated. this is a very fun programme to use and if you have an equirectangular world map i'd suggest using this as it gives you familiar perspectives on your design - and really shows just how messed up the mercator projection really is at the poles

anyway, I settled with an azimuthal equal area, equidistant conic (which are both very similar); orthographic (centered on the Inner Sea; and a Wagner IX (which i thought is easy to look at, if that makes any sense). I still need to do some work on the original equirectangular map to solve the warping in the poles after applying the spherical projections, though i'm pretty happy with the results (though i wish the giss programme would work with higher res images, but that's a minor gripe on an otherwise great little programme

Ill now import one of the first 2 into photoshop and start from scratch building up new layers... so the toil begins anew

EDIT: not sure about this, but i think this thread is probably better-off in a WIP forum. can a mod please move the thread?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azimuthal equal area.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	45298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eqidistant conic.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	4.71 MB 
ID:	45299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orthographic.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	45300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wagner IX.png.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	45301  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 05-31-2012 at 12:55 AM.