Thread: Elyden map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Try increasing the spacing between all the letters rather than just the words, and don't just press space, use the proper spacing controls if you want it to look good and be easy to manage. If your software doesn't support that, try using Inkscape to make your labels. It's fairly simple to load up an image, position your labels over top, hide the base image, and export the labels as an image you can load up in your raster editor. This map uses a lot of spacing control and was done in Inkscape: http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=39598
    I'm using PS and, depending on the text, use a horizontal scale of 100% (default) to 350% (which stretches text as well as spacing, and a kerning of 0 (normal) to 200, the latter of which is used on those large areas where I want to stretch the word to fill out as much of it as possible; though generally I only apply horizontal scale to larger areas where I want to stretch the text to fill the available space.

how would you recommend labelling large areas otherwise?
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 06-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    I'm using PS and, depending on the text, use a horizontal scale of 100% (default) to 350% (which stretches text as well as spacing, and a kerning of 0 (normal) to 200, the latter of which is used on those large areas where I want to stretch the word to fill out as much of it as possible; though generally I only apply horizontal scale to larger areas where I want to stretch the text to fill the available space.

I'd recommend not stretching. Try only using the kerning option.

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post

Now, you are about to learn how to kern easily and quickly in Adobe applications! Alt + arrow keys. That's right. That's all there is to it. Select the glyphs or lines you want to kern and play. Alt + left/right increases or decreases the spacing between individual letters, while Alt + up/down increases or decreases the distance between lines of text. I hope I've saved you a bit of time there!

In another note - this is an impressive project, but I would recommend you think about using paths for country borders - that way you can easily change them to different types, like dot-dash-dot or something. Right now they look a biiiit to close to the rivers for my taste.

Finally, one more note - I find your headwaters too ... plump and rounded. I know it's a result of the blending effects you're using for your rivers, but it's something that would make the map look much cooler if it they tapered more.

However, all in all, a very good map and wonderful project. Keep going, I want to see the finished map!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Now, you are about to learn how to kern easily and quickly in Adobe applications! Alt + arrow keys. That's right. That's all there is to it. Select the glyphs or lines you want to kern and play. Alt + left/right increases or decreases the spacing between individual letters, while Alt + up/down increases or decreases the distance between lines of text. I hope I've saved you a bit of time there!
    thanks though I already use that great timesaver though

In another note - this is an impressive project, but I would recommend you think about using paths for country borders - that way you can easily change them to different types, like dot-dash-dot or something. Right now they look a biiiit to close to the rivers for my taste.
    this never occured to me, Ill certainly try that out though truth be told, im changing them round so often that these are little more than place-holders, so I'll likely use the paths towards the end.