Thread: Elyden map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I'd curve/angle them with the terrain. It ends up looking more natural.
    I'm trying out orienting the text with the 'horizontal' graticules - not really traditional though i thought I'd try it out. I don't mind the results and think its' a bit more characterful than plain horizontal, though I'm still experimenting (same with the font itself. I tried Castellar and Imprint MT Shadow, which i thought looked cartographical, but decided against them in the end). suggestions are welcome

Here's a new iteration of the map. I discarded the coastline I had generated through the projection generator and repalced it with the original one and then painstakingly went through the graticules one-by-one, stretching them out and placing them on the equirectangluar base map (I'm sure there's another generator somewhere tpo do that but ah well...).

I normally like to come up with nations' histories before plotting cities/capitals/features in the map, though that was taking too long (each region was winding up with a 10,000+ word-history which was taking too long - I'm getting impatient to get the map done - i can always update it once I amend regional histories :p I finally settled on a border design, and once the 'boring' part of adding all the fiddly regions and text is done i can start with the fun stuff - colouring it in, adding texture and grunge effects (though I'm not sure i want it being too colourful,and I'll probably settle for something more 'realistic - 18th century-esque. we'll see

the attachment is a bit more detailed than the embedded pic, though i had to resize if from 300 dpi down to 72, so its lost a lot of detail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW - inner sea - map.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	45465  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 06-07-2012 at 03:46 PM.