Thread: A bit of help, if you please?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post A bit of help, if you please?

I'm not exactly certain where this post should go, so feel free to move it should it fit better somewhere else.

I have a dilemma (other than that it took me a few times to spell "dilemma" correctly): I want to map. Not I want amap, but I want to map.

That being said, here's the sticky part... With a pencil, I'm a fair artist. I'm not great, but I'm not completely horrible either. I also know my way around the basics of Photoshop, and have been accused of putting together some pretty decent images. Try as I may, a satisfactory world map has never been one of those images.

I also have Illustrator 10, and even The Gimp and Inkscape, having learned about them from lurking here, but not a clue how to use any of them. I will learn them if that's what it takes, but I prefer Photoshop.

Isn't there anyone that would have pity on my poor, frustrated soul and take the time to point me in the right direction and give me a good kickstart for a nice, basic isometric map?

Thanks in advance,

-IG

Have you checked out Butch Curry's tutorials at Zombie Nirvana. Very nice for creating parchment looking maps, also very helpful on using layer masks and adjustment masks in mapping.

http://www.zombienirvana.com/?cat=14

Hope that helps
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

Quote Originally Posted by deanatglobe View Post
    Have you checked out Butch Curry's tutorials at Zombie Nirvana. Very nice for creating parchment looking maps, also very helpful on using layer masks and adjustment masks in mapping.

http://www.zombienirvana.com/?cat=14

Hope that helps

Indeed I have. Turns out I really suck at drawing mountains.

Well there is a tutorial section here that I can heartily recommend. Problem is without being you its hard to know where to start .

Why don't you start with the tutorials and bring back you questions and observations - those, people can help you with. Teaching a man to swim on dry land is almost impossible - you have to get your feet wet.

sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Well there is a tutorial section here that I can heartily recommend. Problem is without being you its hard to know where to start .

Why don't you start with the tutorials and bring back you questions and observations - those, people can help you with. Teaching a man to swim on dry land is almost impossible - you have to get your feet wet.

sigurd
    Yes, yes.. it is most assuredly hard being me. But someone has to do it.

On that note, I've got something I want to try, and I'll definitely be back with questions afterwards.

I do appreciate your willingness though.

I do have a questions that perhaps someone can help me with. It's got nothing to do with isometric maps, which is what I said I wanted help on, but still..

I see people using all these black and white heightmaps, I believe they're called. How does one incorporate that into the beginning stages of a map in Photoshop? I feel like an idiot for not knowing, but that still doesn't change the fact that I don't.
    Last edited by industrygothica; 04-24-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Well, if you like we can do a map together. Why don't you pick an area in the CWBP and I can (try) to talk you through making a map with photoshop. I can do a step and explain how I got there, you can follow using the similar techniques and we can see how we go?

(not that I'm an expert or anything, but it's just a thought to get you up and running).