Thread: First map!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Looks pretty good so far (assuming, as you mention, that you have some sort of catastrophic explanation for the inner body of water). Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks! Yes, you're quite right, the inner sea was caused by a major catastrophe. I'm starting on the mountain ranges (just locations), so that they can inform the river basins.

The inner sea is actually quite large. The world is roughly 28,000 (about 20% bigger than the earth) miles at the equator which means that every pixel is a little over a mile and a half. That means the inner sea is about ~6,000 miles across, or about 5,200 nautical miles (I think, hopefully my math isn't off).

I've also started drawing the mountains, and like Schwarzkreuz, I'm going for an Atlas Maior feel, although perhaps not as stylized. I'll try and scan those in tonight.

Here's my (quick) initial plot of mountain ranges and lowlands. I'm pretty happy with it, with the exception of the upper corner of the left continent. I may work on it some more. Colors are just temporary.

edit: I meant left! My other right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	basic_elevation.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	45230
    Last edited by lxdengar; 05-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.