Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Yes, I like that much better...

not to sound picky but the coast is a little dark compared to the mountains and trees... try making the coastline match the shade of the mountains and the border of the trees... or making the mountains and trees a little darker to match the coastline and you will have an awesome map!

please don't take this the wrong way as it is already a beautiful map. I will be keeping an eye on this map... looking forward to seeing it complete.

I like how you lightened the "dark" side of the mountains... I may try to make some brushes like that.

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Eh, I think this is as about as good as it's going to get for the outline...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbp iso2.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	4712  

That is freaking beautiful, ig! I love watching your maps evolve. You hit so many different styles before you settle down. You have left me wondering about paths not taken, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

yeah... it works together much better that way... I really like it.

I am looking forward to seeing location names and such... if you need anything built for this map like a compass rose or whatever just let me know

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    That is freaking beautiful, ig! I love watching your maps evolve. You hit so many different styles before you settle down. You have left me wondering about paths not taken, though.
    Paths not taken?

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing location names and such... if you need anything built for this map like a compass rose or whatever just let me know
    Names and such. Indeed, therein lies a problem. Names and history have escaped me at this point, though I've been wracking my brain trying to thing of something. I've got something in mind for the gorge, just not a name. It'll be an ominous place though, overrun with gnolls and hyenas. Bards' tales of the haunting laughter echoing throughout the canyon, foretelling a traveler's doom will fuel the nightmares of children throughout the region.

Savage humanoids plague the mountains in the north, fighting an endless battle for control that has teetered back and forth for as long as anyone can remember.

A large-ish port city on the eastern coast will serve as a defacto capital--if there ever was one, and a secluded community of halflings will make their home somewhere near both forest and river.

But that's about it...
    Last edited by industrygothica; 06-27-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    I like how you lightened the "dark" side of the mountains... I may try to make some brushes like that.

-Chris
    Chris, if you want a bit of inspiration, check out this post where I did a few quick samples of the technique used by the artist of the Manthria map. Eventually(hopefully this weekend) I will make some of these for use in GIMP as a brush set and pipe.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I've got something in mind for the gorge, just not a name. It'll be an ominous place though, overrun with gnolls and hyenas. Bards' tales of the haunting laughter echoing throughout the canyon, foretelling a traveler's doom will fuel the nightmares of children throughout the region.
    The Scar?

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Paths not taken?
    You went through quite a few different styles, and each of them would have been interesting to watch.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Started looking over my neighbors' efforts to get some idea for a history and whatnot. Airith doesn't really have a story yet for area 20 above mine, but has accounted for the orcs and gnolls (I'll probably use goblins instead of gnolls for this area) I talked about earlier.

Sigurd's fantastically vague description of area 30 has left me with more than enough room to play, and a perfectly reasonable explanation of monstrous population towards the central and western regions.

rpgmapmaker, your offer of a compass rose would be more than appreciated. This is going to turn out to be as much your map as it is mine.

I'm thinking of doing the scale in leagues rather than in miles--roughly three miles = 1 league. Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't? I think that as far as overland movement goes, the 1 unit per hour aspect will be delightfully uncomplicated. But that's just me.

I need a little input, please...

There's an island on the south-central portion of the map. It's not very big, but it's big enough that I just can't ignore, I think. I want to call it The Isle of the Forsaken and put a prison there. Does anyone know anything about prisons in a fantasy setting? Would this even be feasible?

Almost directly to the east of that, on the southern side of that unnamed river, is a major port city, Glimmergale.

Over the sea between the two is a naturally occurring phenomenon known as the Witchlights, or an aurora in modern terms. With the Witchlights comes all sorts of fanciful takes and legends, both horrific and otherwise. I realize that most real-life auroras wouldn't occur in this sort of region, but this isn't real life, is it?

Any ideas on how to put this all together?
    Last edited by industrygothica; 07-02-2008 at 05:20 AM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast