Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The great thing about having the relief shading as a separate layer is that you can apply a layer mask to it and just erase the bits you don't want (I did that with the Beastlands map as my relief map was also too busy). Do you know how to do layer masking? it's pretty essential stuff. Tell me when you're happy with the relief and we can then move onto the rivers.
    I know enough about layer masks to get buy. Trouble is I always forget about them and opt for the more permanent path, as in the image above. Luckily I saved a previous version, and went back to that one and added the mask.

Here's the outcome. I think I'm happy enough with this one to move on to the next step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igworld_new.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	3322  

Yeah, I always use the eraser too....and then curse myself afterwards! OK, let's move onto rivers next. As you don't have a tablet we can try using the pen tool. I'll post something up later tonight but I've got to help a friend install her ipod right now and Dr Who is on in a few mins

Blog Entries

The great thing about having the relief shading as a separate layer is that you can apply a layer mask to it and just erase the bits you don't want.
    One thing that I have been doing recently is keeping the light map layer as a multiplicative layer and not merging it all into one. So when you put stuff into shadow zones they get shadowed for you.

Hi IG

As promised, here is the river layer tutorial on how to draw a river with a mouse. Sorry about the quality of the tutorial, but if anything is unclear, please feel free to ask. Also, I'm hoping RobA will pitch in as he is the master of drawing rivers. I have (rather badly) tried to copy the effect he did in his challenge here. Which in my opinion is as good as rivers get for this sort of map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river tutorial.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	3339  

Excellent. I've got a few minutes before work so I'll see if I can't get something started.

Thanks again.

Excellent, can't wait to see how it turns out. Do check out RobA's challenge thread linked above. It's a masterclass in river drawing. If you can master his technique of getting that subtle embossed effect he's got you'll end up with rivers of beauty.

Excellent mini-tutorial, ravs. Somebody rep him for me!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

So I'm envisioning an open grassland. There are a few port cities dotted around the coast, and probably a good-sized halfling settlement somewhere in the middle close an intersection of rivers.

Gnolls and orcs battle for control of the Bone Mountains in the north, the littered carcasses of the defeated earning the region's name.

The Badlands to the south won't be nearly as hospitable, home to goblinoids who constantly patrol the region for anything worth taking. In ages past the goblins and halflings probably were engaged in a lengthy war, the aftershocks of which are still felt to this day.

Ideas or input is appreciated.

-IG

With the Rivers, IG, I just put them in at random by way of example. There is an image of the area with rivers from one of Neon's posts which I think we're expected to follow so that the rivers are consistent from region to region - apologies if you already knew this.

Actually, by some weird coincidence, my example rivers are not far off the the ones in Neon's map.

I like the idea of organised communities of orcs/gnolls/goblins etc fighting each other.

With the Rivers, IG, I just put them in at random by way of example. There is an image of the area with rivers from one of Neon's posts which I think we're expected to follow so that the rivers are consistent from region to region - apologies if you already knew this.

Actually, by some weird coincidence, my example rivers are not far off the the ones in Neon's map.

I like the idea of organised communities of orcs/gnolls/goblins etc fighting each other.
    Thanks. I'd seen the map, but didn't pay it much attention since I wasn't mapping anything. I had some rivers roughly drawn out on paper but haven't done anything in PS yet, so that's good. I appreciate the heads up, because I surely wouldn't have followed it otherwise.

-IG

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast