Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin most excellent, except the trees look kinda flat. But, like I said, lookin good.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Good job with the lighting on the land - that looks much better. Unfortunately now the directional lighting jars with the shadow that surrounds all of the forest. I have to say I'm not too keen on those trees. With your hand drawn mountains it would be best to also have some hand drawn trees.

Shortly after I posted that I found this forest brush posted by The-Somberlain.

I think I'm still going to try something else, but here's what I have for now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbp iso2.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	4694  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a definite improvement. Nice work. I also like the rift.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Shortly after I posted that I found this forest brush posted by The-Somberlain.

I think I'm still going to try something else, but here's what I have for now...

Tree trunks!!!!! Good work! very purddy.... I too really like your scar... ummm... err.. the scar on your map that is.... I have no idea if you yourself have a scar... if you do, please don't tell us about it...

May want to spend a bit of time giving the tree trunks a bit if manual love though. They are rather sharp and given the rest of the maps tone, they stand out as being a bit blocky. *shocK*: I would say using the smudge tool to sweep the bottom out in small flares to the left down and right down positions like roots and then touch up with a tiny smudge on the bases, but that's just me.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Tree trunks!!!!! Good work! very purddy.... I too really like your scar... ummm... err.. the scar on your map that is.... I have no idea if you yourself have a scar... if you do, please don't tell us about it...

May want to spend a bit of time giving the tree trunks a bit if manual love though. They are rather sharp and given the rest of the maps tone, they stand out as being a bit blocky. *shocK*: I would say using the smudge tool to sweep the bottom out in small flares to the left down and right down positions like roots and then touch up with a tiny smudge on the bases, but that's just me.

Joe
    While I'm resisting the urge to comment on giving the trunks some manual love, I'll post this update...

Views:	29 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	4697  

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    While I'm resisting the urge to comment on giving the trunks some manual love, I'll post this update...

Umm.. it might be me, but perhaps you gave those tree trunks way to much manual love.... Them tree trunks is gone....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This is with the original tree trunks (I redid them in the last post), but with the opacity reduced and a slight blur... I think it helps a little.

Views:	32 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	4699  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

WOW!!!

It is sooooo cool to see the mountain brushes work on a real map! Thank you for using them. I will make more mountain brushes before long to give mappers more options when building a range. (really like)

I really like this style of map and love the gorge near the middle. I think your trees are coming along nicely too.

my only "negative" comment would be about the sharpness of the coastline as compared to the woodcut water affect. I think it is because of the bevel you have on the land layer... have you considered manually making a drop shadow out of a duplicated land layer? Overall ... wow cool map keep it up.

Thanks again
    -Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    WOW!!!

It is sooooo cool to see the mountain brushes work on a real map! Thank you for using them. I will make more mountain brushes before long to give mappers more options when building a range. (really like)

I really like this style of map and love the gorge near the middle. I think your trees are coming along nicely too.

my only "negative" comment would be about the sharpness of the coastline as compared to the woodcut water affect. I think it is because of the bevel you have on the land layer... have you considered manually making a drop shadow out of a duplicated land layer? Overall ... wow cool map keep it up.

Thanks again
    -Chris
    Glad you approve of the use of your brushes.

How's this for a coastline?

Views:	34 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	4710  

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast