Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here it is again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igworld1.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	3280  

Wow...I don't know if it's just me but that image looks like one of those hologram pictures where the sea is way behind the land. I keep moving my head from left to right to see if there's a parallax effect!

Anyway, I'm glad you got the problem sorted. It's a shame those psd files get so big, it would have been helpful for me to work off the ones you were using. Nevermind, if my wife doesn't corner me for chores tonight, we can start working on the rivers.

By the way, do you have a tablet and pen?

I don't have a tablet. I'll be hitting my wife up for one soon enough, without a doubt.

I can send you the psd through email if you'd like.

Sending now..

Hi IG,

I've followed this tutorial to do the landscaping.

The steps I took were:

1. Making a duplicate of the bump map and using the Image/levels adjustment to blow up the whites a bit.

2. (using the tutorial) Make your colour background by setting colours to your altitudes (white is high) by using a gradient map adjustment layer on the bump map which you've just adjusted.

3. (using the tutorial) Make your relief shading by making a new layer and copying your adjusted bump map to it and then using the 'render / lighting' filter. Make sure that layer is on top of your height colour layer and then multiply it and bring the opacity down to about 75%.

The great thing about this method is that because your colour map is on an adjustment layer you can fiddle with the colours to your heart's content.

.psd file back on its way to you but here is a jpg of the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igworld2 copy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	3287  

I tried this a couple of times. It worked well the first time, not so much on the others. I'll get it, though - not worried about that.

What's got me a bit concerned is that mine still looks hard and chiseled, while yours is a bit softer. I've got what look like cliffs near the coast, and can't seem to get rid of them.