Thread: Climate on a larger planet with different variables than Earth.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There's an additional factor that probably will have an important effect: the atmosphere is twice the Earth's and it's chemical ratios are different. I wonder how higher and lower amounts of x types of gas would affect climates and weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Do you plan on having humans live on this super-earth? I ask because high-grav planets would be really hard to live on. The stress on the musculoskeletal system from weighing a lot more and the increased atmospheric pressure would make it almost impossible to breathe and to move around.

Sorry, I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it's something you ought to have an answer for when you start writing your story (or setting or whatnot), because your readers will wonder.
    I considered that. I indeed would like humans to live on this planet, among other sentient creatures. But they are not from Earth, which doesn't exist in my universe. They evolved on this planet and thus adapted to its stronger gravity with a slightly different bone and muscular structure, among other things. A necessary and I think reasonable tradeoff as I wanted to make my world large because I don't think its very realistic for (for some, drastically) different sentient species to evolve on a planet the size of Earth. This way I can also make the world very varied climate and vegetation wise, and also politically varied, since it is much more difficult to maintain global empires when the planet is so large. At least, until the space age.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-29-2012 at 04:59 AM.