Thread: Climate on a larger planet with different variables than Earth.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Cool! Sounds like a plausible backstory too. Carry on

You know...I don't know how much Sci-Fi you read, but are you familiar with Robert Silverberg's Majipoor? It's a gigantic world settled by humans....I think he got by the gravity thing by making the planet less dense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majipoor_series

Just food for thought.

How about atmospheric density...if gravity acts more forcefully on the gasses (whatever their makeup) then they are under more pressure and will behave differently yes?

dlaporte

Quote Originally Posted by dlaporte7271 View Post
    You know...I don't know how much Sci-Fi you read, but are you familiar with Robert Silverberg's Majipoor? It's a gigantic world settled by humans....I think he got by the gravity thing by making the planet less dense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majipoor_series

Just food for thought.

How about atmospheric density...if gravity acts more forcefully on the gasses (whatever their makeup) then they are under more pressure and will behave differently yes?

dlaporte
    Yup, I did this. But I don't want it to be too low, since I want it to be a metal rich planet (metals are nice for many things, including life, they have plenty of functions in our bodies). I'm pretty sure that a low average planetary density indicates a metal poor planet. To add to that, huge planets (that are not gas planets, but rocky/terrestial ones), because of their large mass which increases their gravity and pull the planets mass more inwards, becoming more dense, will naturally assume a much higher density than a smaller planet. In other words, density increases exponentially with mass because of gravity, and a lot of mass is needed to make a large terrestial planet. I'm curious what the mass, diameter and density of the planet is that you refered to, its not in the wiki article. But you can only go so far down with the density until it becomes a gassy planet instead of a terrestial one.

And yup, the atmosphere's components, pressure and density would also have an effect. What, I'm not exactly sure... Perhaps the heavier the gas, less warmth they need to sink back to the Earth, thus creating more Hadley cells?
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-29-2012 at 12:09 PM.