Thread: Climate on a larger planet with different variables than Earth.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    Yeah you've wandered into the hypothetical realm that a NASA scientist couldn't 100% answer... likely not close to 100%. Being Earth-like, but bigger, one suggestion I would make is that the increased Coriolis effect you imagine wouldn't necessarily increase wind speeds at the equator, as Earth doesn't have that effect. Rather, storms and basic wind patterns would track more directly east-west, like I think they do on Jupiter... I think, LOL.

Speaking of things we don't fully understand... think tectonics on a planet moving extra fast and being that large... what effects there?

My suggestion is to be a bit like me... in my world I ask if magic did this, what would be the real world effects? Then make an educated guess that seems plausible and stick with it! Thinking too much will drive you crazy... not that I wasn't there already. LOL.
    The winds flow differently on my planet than on Earth, creating some zones of extreme weather, which is how I liked it.

I couldn't find too much about the effects of tectonics on climate, except that they change the climate by moving landmasses around and create volcanoes that have an effect on the environment, and mountain ranges that hoard rain and in turn create rivers, that fertilize huge areas. Faster and stronger tectonics could mean more of all that and more expansive mountain ranges. I suppose the pressure on tectonic plates would be higher on a larger planet, as the amount and size of plates pressing on each other is higher, and the plates are thicker and gravity is stronger. Creating higher mountain ranges. More earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, underwater volcanic eruptions that fertilize the water and foster underwater biodiversity, increasing ocean foodchains that in turn increases abovewater foodchains (and biodiversity) which interact with the underwater ones, and cause tsunamis that cause extinctions, in turn leaving space for further evolution of creatures to fill in the void. That influence the environment themselves. The chain of cause and effect goes on for a long time. You can apply the same to mountain creation->river creation->...

I agree. I've spent way too much time reading every little piece of information I could find and obsessing over what its effect would be, and then trying to predict its effect with a gazillion other factors. And there's an unknown large amount of factors that we don't even understand. So I figure that we can venture anywhere with our worldbuilding as long as it obeys the basic and important advanced principles of nature as we know them. Who knows what other effects could be at work. We can even think of some of our own factors. I've been thinking about altering the periodic table for my universe, giving some of the rare elements that don't really have an important function (that can't be replaced by another) some more interesting properties. And expanding the periodic table, giving some of the higher useless elements that have halflives that can be measured in nanoseconds in our universe, a function. It's part of the beauty of designing a fictional universe that your imagination (and will) is the only limit, I think.

Magic is an interesting subject too. I want there to be magic, that is seen as a natural force instead of "magic", seen that way by both the people in my universe and readers. Kind of like how eezo's effects are seen in the mass effect universe. But at the same time I want it to have more of the mystery and flexibility surrounding magic in the fantasy genre. But it's harder to implement that than it might seem. I'm taking my planet through the primitive age to beyond the spage age, so it should be compatible both with a fantasy setting and a sci-fi setting.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-31-2012 at 04:04 AM.