Thread: Climate on a larger planet with different variables than Earth.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dlaporte, thanks for the links. They're very interesting. Especially for creating weird exo-planets. But this one has a more Earth-like climate. Yes, there are many important factors. Too many really to reliably know what they'd do. We have been wrong many times about the features of other planets in our own solar system, and while reading I came across quite a few phenomenon that defy explanation. There's just many things that we don't understand.

We're barely proficient at explaining climate features that we know are there, nevermind predicting hypothetical ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kermode View Post
    Cyclones (hurricanes) are not caused by the Coriolis effect, but by low pressure gradients. An increased Coriolis effect might make cyclones form faster, but if the other components needed to make hurricanes (warm water and a pressure change, basically) are not there, no amount of spinning will make them form. Basically hurricanes form over warm water, so if your planet contains more warm water than Earth, then it will have more hurricanes.

And I think your ideas for extra horse bands/doldums are pretty good. I don't know exactly what would happen with all that, so making more bands seems like a pretty good idea. You seem to know your stuff! I hate it when people just draw random climates in random places with no knowledge of how climatology or plate tectonics work.
    I looked it up. You're right. I should've known that.

I concluded that nobody really knows for sure about what the climate system would be like on a large planet - even weather forecasts on our own planet are notoriously unreliable over more than a few days.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-30-2012 at 10:46 PM.