Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Val Nevan

Blog Entries

Its always impressive when someone has the confidence to put in so much work into a border before the main map is finished. Its like theres zero chance of this being screwed up so what the hell. If this were me, I would do it in sections and matte it all together at the end cos I would screw something up in a transitional stage. Very fine progress.

I've always enjoyed this style and you haven't disappointed. It looks great!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2083.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	987.4 KB 
ID:	45933

Finally, FINALLY! Most of the city is done. All the larger blocks are finished. I just need to do the rest of the city walls, a graveyard and the rock that the castle is built on (with a few houses here and there).
    I'm not sure if I will do the writing by hand or in photoshop. It's so easy to mess up by hand, but I wonder if it will have a hand-made look if I do it digitally. Maybe I can apply some effects to make it work, but that's something I'll need to research a bit first.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks so far. My biggest problem with it is that the city still looks flat. I tried use the advice I've been given, but I still forgot from time to time. And I should have made some buildings overlap at the back of the city, but was to concerned that the streets wouldn't be visible enough. I hope I can apply some shading to correct it a bit after scanning. We'll see

Looking good! I recently saw a historic map of Bern in this style too so I'm especially liking it today.

You could always do the labels by hand on a separate piece of paper, scan them in and then combine them in Photoshop by just cutting them out and putting them on a layer called labels before setting it to multiply (Lazyply in this case) or something.

No risk of ruining it then.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    You could always do the labels by hand on a separate piece of paper, scan them in and then combine them in Photoshop by just cutting them out and putting them on a layer called labels before setting it to multiply (Lazyply in this case) or something.
    Good idea, I'll try that if doing it digitally doesn't pay of. I really hate 'calligraphy' so that's really a last option for me

Latest update: I scanned the paper and have started colouring. It's fun again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Val-Nevan-wip1.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	46014

This is starting to look so awesome! Can't wait to see the final map!

Really nice work. Why not stick with your own handwriting? It seems legible enough.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Looking real cool with the parchment and painted roofs!

Clapping clapping!

This ís without question one of the most spectacular and amazing maps I have ever seen here!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast