Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Val Nevan

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

lovely! its amazing how something so simple as the painted roofs can make such a difference - any more stuff like that still to be added?

quick question though - the edges seem to be more frayed or spattered on the new version than the original - did you change anything or is it just more etail form the scan?

This looks like a "Cartographer's Choice" map in the making if ever I saw one!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

This is already one of my favorites! Buildings are mercyless and show every wrong turn of the pen or wrong perspective directly to the viewer. But I am in awe about how well it looks on your map. I cant see much errors at all.

It has turned out fantastic, the hilltop castle especially (I was wondering how you would integrate it). I get a slightly German vibe from the town itself but I don't know if that is intentional or not. That probably helps for me though because German castles are my favourite and are the dominant aesthetic in my own little world.

That's looking pretty darned awesome.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Thanks, everyone

Really nice work. Why not stick with your own handwriting? It seems legible enough.
    Legible, yes. Pretty? Nnnnot so much. But I found some font I really like on my old laptop. I have no idea where I got it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    This is already one of my favorites! Buildings are mercyless and show every wrong turn of the pen or wrong perspective directly to the viewer. But I am in awe about how well it looks on your map. I cant see much errors at all.
    Well, I can see plenty But I guess they don't stand out much if you don't look at it too closely. Mostly it's a matter of accidentally using a isometric-ish perspective instead of a oblique one (See the houses on either side of the street near the eastern gate for an example of that). I get so caught up in the details, sometimes, that I forget to look at how it fits in with the rest.

I get a slightly German vibe from the town itself but I don't know if that is intentional or not. That probably helps for me though because German castles are my favourite and are the dominant aesthetic in my own little world.
    It's semi-intentional? I started out with more of a Flemish look in mind, but some of the buildings (mostly those with the long side facing the street and the roofs sloping towards it) reminded me of Germany as well, and I liked that so much I drew more of them. I've been to Freiburg in the Black Forest a couple of times -- it's such a lovely city! <3

Now, here's a new update.
    Next up:

-a bit of drawing. I want to add some fields and farms to the south and east. I'll draw them by hand again, scan them and copy-paste them in.
    -I want to colour the surrounding fields in the same way I did the hill and fields in the city, but have them fade out towards the edge of the paper. Maybe I'll use a layer mask for that.
    -I'm trying to draw three simple coats of arms to put in the top right corner. One for the city itself, one for the kingdom that Val Nevan is the capital of, and one for the current ruler.
    The lettering is just a bit of a test to see how it looks. I love the font, but it looks too clean and digitally compared to the rest of the drawing. Not sure how to fix that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Val-Nevan-wip3.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	46151
    Last edited by Blaidd Drwg; 06-29-2012 at 04:37 PM.

I like the way the colour has come out, It's not too dominating. This is making me really want to try a map in this style but I really should make something for the lite challenge instead!

So beautiful! The colours add so much to this already gorgeous map!

This is making me really want to try a map in this style but I really should make something for the lite challenge instead!
    @Larb: You really should participate in this one! I was wondering why you haven't posted something already. Your isometric maps are so awesome!

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    @Larb: You really should participate in this one! I was wondering why you haven't posted something already. Your isometric maps are so awesome!
    I agree. Your Isometrics are awesome Larb. But if you entered one, I wouldn't stand a chance...:-(

But if you wanted, I'm sure you could combine elements of this style with a more isometric perspective. Hand drawn, colored similarly, just at a different angle.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast