Thread: Hot and cold region ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Second that last one. Think about the Himalayas. On the south side, you have the north Indian plain. On the north side, Tibet. I suggest researching the geography and climate of Bhutan, which spans much of the elevation and climate difference.
    Or, somewhat less extreme, western South America. The land on the east side of the Andes is a plateau.
    I'd say the Himalayas are the best model. Wide, high mountain range; run it W-E so the plateau side can be farther from the equator. And the nearest coast, logically, on the low side. You'll have to have in-between temperature zones at lower elevations in the mountains, and colder in the peaks (which will be higher than the plateau). As in Asia or South America, the high side isn't going to be high-precipitation (though it can snow), but cold desert. I don't know about wind patterns in those areas, but from other areas, I expect you'll get strong winds *down* the mountains. Not sure what are the conditions that'll make these winds warm or cold by the time they reach the bottom; for this world, you want warm. I suggest looking more into "katabatic winds" to see if they're a help or a problem here.
    Last edited by Triplicate; 06-19-2012 at 11:53 AM.