Baiting traps would be the most likely way to hunt them... self defense would seem to come down to communities creating spaces too small for large creatures to get through. Poison of extreme efficacy might be the best bet, really, for typical hunting, strike wound and track the dying and ailing dino. Smoke and fire tend to be universally respected by predator and prey alike, but would be more defense. If I were a primitive man looking for a village site I would seek out: caves (obvious), tar pits and/or next to a source of naturally occurring flammable substance, preferably oil. I might even use fat from downed dinos to create an oil that could be pitched onto an attacking critter and set ablaze. Natural sources methane could also be used for fear effect and potentially as defensive weapon. Methane gas contained in, say, a sack created from the intestine of a dino and fused might also prove a form of explosive?

Hand to hand options (so to speak) would be to have several combatants with very long pikes to hold the point, a jab and dash attention getter while striking with atlatl or other projectile to slowly weaken the beast through bleeding or to eventually drive it away. That's not the preferred fight, but in a pinch you try what might work. Critters can be extremely dumb when facing such a situation. A pack of dinos on the other hand... run faster than your neighbor, heh heh.

A fun question!