Thread: [WIP] Surane Map (Delurking for assistance/critique)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It does come across as a bit more clean and modern though I quite like it. Obviously it's not what you want.

I think in the latter attachment, the parchment texture is too dominant so the map isn't clear. I'm not sure if you want that or not. When I add texture to maps I usually do it via a pattern/texture on an upper layer set to overlay. And I use a large soft brush to add subtle colour variation to the background. You could try something like that perhaps.

You could also try a more tan/brown colour scheme. And a more handwritey/brush type font but I assume arial temporary until you find one you prefer.

On a side note, the coloured national boundries where they meet the edge of the canvas, I assume it's because you used a stroke. It's worth manually erasing that (I get that which is why I do all my strokes on their own layer).

If you do decide to add roads, at that scale I'd just add the important ones. I wouldn't pull out hair though, I hear it is quite painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    It does come across as a bit more clean and modern though I quite like it. Obviously it's not what you want.

I think in the latter attachment, the parchment texture is too dominant so the map isn't clear. I'm not sure if you want that or not. When I add texture to maps I usually do it via a pattern/texture on an upper layer set to overlay. And I use a large soft brush to add subtle colour variation to the background. You could try something like that perhaps.

You could also try a more tan/brown colour scheme. And a more handwritey/brush type font but I assume arial temporary until you find one you prefer.

On a side note, the coloured national boundries where they meet the edge of the canvas, I assume it's because you used a stroke. It's worth manually erasing that (I get that which is why I do all my strokes on their own layer).

If you do decide to add roads, at that scale I'd just add the important ones. I wouldn't pull out hair though, I hear it is quite painful.
    I did not think of flip-flopping the parchment texture into the map file. I'll give that a try after I've re-made the texture.

Yes. I used a stroke. It never occurred to me to manually erase. lol

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by angelstyx View Post
    Yes. I used a stroke. It never occurred to me to manually erase. lol
    I would use layer masks instead with each color on it's own separate layer. The layer mask will then keep the shape AND more importantly, you can chance a color instantly without having to retouch up.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.