Thread: The Battle of Calamocha

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It looks like (1706) Calamocha is too minor to get a proper translation (though it seems where was a battle there in the 1100s). I cannot read spanish though (I only know a bit of french and latin) and I suspect online translators would do a terrible job. I wonder if the minor battles of things like the wars of the roses and such are also brushed over too by non-english historians. You can only translate so much, right?

A translated summary would be great though, I am a big history fan and mainly would just like to know the context of your fabulous map.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    It looks like (1706) Calamocha is too minor to get a proper translation (though it seems where was a battle there in the 1100s). I cannot read spanish though (I only know a bit of french and latin) and I suspect online translators would do a terrible job. I wonder if the minor battles of things like the wars of the roses and such are also brushed over too by non-english historians. You can only translate so much, right?

A translated summary would be great though, I am a big history fan and mainly would just like to know the context of your fabulous map.
    Then, I understand you consider better a full traslation more than a summary. Well, I wait to be able to make it properly, give me time.

The battle you do mention in 1100 must be the Battle of Cutanda: Cutanda is a little village near Calamocha that has a castle.
    I think is very interesting the matter about languages you have mention. In a begining I learned french and latin too, but it changed to english halfway through. I was doubing to put the links and sources in spanish knowing it would be impossible for me to traslate all, but at last I thought would be worst to not put them.

I mean minor battle, the one that is not decisive in a campaing. This battle was the result of a "distraction" movement from Zaragoza to take off presure of enemy siege army over this city.