I was really not happy with the first attempt, following Kidari/Ascension's tutorial. There were evidently a few steps I didn't really understand the first time through.

Here is a shot of my second attempt...I am just past setting up the mountains and hills, have not yet adjusted the climate zones etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemetiaContinentalMap2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	45633

I like this one better than the last one, but it still needs some adjusting. The ground just seems a lot rougher than my concept visualized, so I need to go back in and edit the mountain and hill layers some more I think. I also don't like how big the sea shelf looks in this version. So I will probably go back in and re-do that so that it is closer to the shoreline.

In a few places, instead of using a layer style as called for in the tutorial, I just used a layer on top filled with the color. I used a layer mask and changed the layer blend modes, and got a similar effect. I am experimenting with reducing the number of layer styles in this method, because I think it really increases the processing power needed to render, and can slow down PS to a crawl.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

wisemoon