A few notes about how I saw these places:

Insect Land was a multispecies civilization, though grasshoppers were clearly dominant. It was here, not Grasshopper Land, that was my default setting.

I can't find it, but I had an earlier version of an Insect Land map that looked totally different. The regions had mostly straight-line borders like a colonial country. I only realized after drawing it that, since most of the external borders were also geometric, this meant it had land borders with other nations. Since that wasn't how I thought of it, I ignored that map when making the Atlas. Just as a reminder of how you don't realize why maps look the way they do until later.
Incidentally, that Insect Land map showed large (for the size of the country) oil fields. Yes, insects clearly used petroleum, but steam trains and sailing ships were still common technology.

As you may gather, tiger beetles were the Evil Empire (TM), with a totally militarized society and possessing many WMDs. I didn't do too much with them. Despite an early interest in military technology, conceiving whole wars seems to be beyond what I usually did at that age.