Thread: Trident City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the input. I agree, although the river is splitting, coming down from the north, not merging. In my larger current image, which I didn't attach due to its size, I've reduced the fork's width, but not by much. The river is deeper where the city proper is and then hits a shallower point as the east fork diverges, hence it is still a bit wider, but the water volume is constant.

I've finally finished the layout of the major streets. I haven't, however, placed any back alleys and small side streets, yet, and I'm not sure how deep I'll get into that anyway. After hedging for a long time as to how to go about it, I decided to go with a series of main streets, which would be the original roads between the communities, going to and from each other, then work off of them in a spontaneous way, reflecting the gradual spreading out and merging of the areas. This gives it that "kind of organized/kind of random" layout that most surviving pre-18th century cities, like Paris and Boston, seem to have. I was amazed at how quickly it began to flow once I started.

I'll be working on the docks next.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triune Map- Preview.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	45899

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem66 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I agree, although the river is splitting, coming down from the north, not merging. In my larger current image, which I didn't attach due to its size, I've reduced the fork's width, but not by much. The river is deeper where the city proper is and then hits a shallower point as the east fork diverges, hence it is still a bit wider, but the water volume is constant.
    Looking good so far except for this: unless one of the forks is actively managed (dredged out, reinforced, etc.) you won't get a river splitting like this. Rivers join; they don't split unless you're dealing with a delta or man-made channels. See the How to get your rivers in the right place sticky in the tutorial section for details.