Thread: Regional Map for a Game World

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Regional Map for a Game World

Started work on this last week or something as something to keep me busy while in hospital (it was something I wanted to do anyway!), but I haven't really had time to do anything to it for 3 days or so now. Most of it's been a mix of tinkering and peeking at the maps and tutorials on this awesome forum.

It's my first attempt at a map, and since about 90% of the in-game area models are already done, I don't have -that- much room for flexibility in the main layout of things, but . My main troubles are the marshland on the east side of the mainland, which I'm finding near-impossible to draw (possibly because I'm using a mouse, but mainly because I can't figure out in my head what it should look like!), and I've got a few problems with scale, but the vast majority of those are because it's based on an in-game scale rather than a map-wide one (something I quite regret doing now ).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regmapsm2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	45817

Some notes:

The dotted city districts (in the northern city) are supposed to represent areas that are unlivable - I wasn't sure how to represent it, but that's probably not really the kind of thing I should relate to this map. The city itself also massively out of scale at the moment, should be around 50% bigger than it is and stretch to the bottom edge of the trees next to it. (It's 3 areas tall, not 2. Oops!)

I'm going to remove the shoreline on the east side near the marshland, but wanted to get the land looking right first. (Though that might be the wrong way around)

Loving this forum, by the way.

If anyone's got any suggestions on drawing swampy marshy bits (I've made another attempt but it still didn't turn out too great) that's probably what I need to get done first.
    Last edited by smail; 06-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.