Thread: [WIP] My first map, Kingdom of St Samuel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You're using gimp? I would suggest pasting the old map, as a layer, on top of the new version at the same size, or so the old islands are just a bit smaller than the new islands. Make a second layer on top of both and re-trace the old island coastlines (without the square pixelized corners, of course). Delete or hide the old map layer. Make a duplicate layer (below the traced layer) of the new map for your working layer and hide the other one so you don't accidentally paint on it. Then rework the water to match the old coastlines. You could try using the smear or smudge tool (or whatever it's called, I haven't used gimp in a while). Or if gimp has a liquify filter like photoshop, that might be easier and you'll have less work to touch up the style design. There may be a simpler way to do it, but I'm not an expert. Maybe you'll receive better advice from someone else.

You're doing a fine job so far! =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I started the map over and put alot more detail into the islands and it clearly looks more realistic than the blob islands in my previous effort. Through an error I messed up on the dirt section, but I've decided not to correct this as I am going to look to create a cleaner map, with just mountains, rivers and place names. The only thing at this stage I am not happy with is the sea, in my first effort the sea had a much better blend of dark blue to light blue and in the updated one it seems to just be mid blue. I'll play around with things and see if I can change this, but if anyone knows a quick fix for changing the sea let me know, or I'll be here all night going back and forth!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	updated.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	45891