Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First map, try not to laugh

Wow.

i'm new here, and i really shouldn't be critiquing anyone yet, but that is a really nice improvement. i actually kind of like the color. however, i did see that on the west side of the main landmass, the green looks like it was colored on using a crayon . if it is possible, i would try to fill that in a little more. also, the inkblots. are those part of the texture that you used for the background? i feel like they detract from a really nice looking map, but then, that's just me. if those are not wanted, and are part of the background texture, then i would be willing to share a very nice parchment background that i found a while ago. just let me know if you want to see it.
    anyways, that is a VERY nice looking map for a first map, and i guarantee that my first map (and only map, i guess...) did not look that nice. i really like the smooth look it has. keep up the good work.

Vorn.

Guild Novice

@Vorn, Actually the spots are indeed the background but they are intended since i made the back ground myself using a tutorial by RobA. my map doesn't look as amazing as his but i do have to say i like my new paper texture better than my old one. but since they are there by design i may lighten them, if that would keep from being as distracting. Sharing the background texture would be awesome, because being a newbie and trying to run tutorials in a program that you've never used before is indeed quite frustrating and the texture may help. As for the green, in my newest additions it is one of the things that i've already fixed and i didn't notice how drawn on it looked until i posted it here, but thanks for noticing, because it took me several times looking at it to find any mistakes that needed correcting. Thanks again for the advice.

-TheKid

P.s. Here is the link to the tutorial i used in my second version of this map
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...using-the-Gimp

i had an idea. if you wanted to keep the inkblots - because it does give the map a kind of well-used feel, then maybe put them on the right side of the map, where it wouldn't be covering parts of the continents, and if you wanted you could make them a bit darker, so it looks more like a stain - to me it looks like water spilled right now. of course, these are just my ideas, and its your map, so do it how you want it. as for the texture, here it is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment.png 
Views:	277 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	45937
    unfortunately it isn't very big. also keep in mind how it gets darker near the edges. you may need to crop out the edges if you wanted to tile it as a background. anyways, i look forward to seeing how this map turns out! oh, one more thing: does the continent have a name?

Vorn

Guild Novice

I could move the ink blots, that makes more sense to do it that way anyway. i didn't do that in the original creation because i actually wasn't sure if i was going to use the paper as my map. i like the texture, it looks like it was used but not too worn and i like the various lines in the texture, will consider using this in a future endeavor. And yes, my continents name is Se'Lania.

The second map looks better in my opinion. The coastlines look blurry in contrast with the mountains though. You might want to change that to get a more consistent look. If you are searching for great aged paper backgrounds have a look at this thread started by Coyotemax. He has included there some awesome hand-made textures. I keep using them in my endeavors into mapping time and again. (Not that I finished anything yet. )

Guild Novice

basically, the inconsistency is there because i sorta want it to look like the continent was drawn and then someone used watercolor or some other sort of way for the paper to soak up pigment and then the other details were added. i appreciate your advice though and the link is very much appreciated.

-TheKid

Well, now that you provided an explanation I buy it.^^ It's nice that you think about the "history" of the making of the map. Very creative approach.

Guild Novice

well, along with this map i'm creating a world that i hope to turn into a book, or maybe just something to run a D&D campaign in, but i have different parts of the civilization planned out. i'm creating religions, history, myths, my own creatures. i truly want this world and this map to come alive and be something more than just a drawing.

I think that you are close to achieving just that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12