Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy Cow Summertime!

'cept "hosepipe" does have regional use in the South (of the US). Mind you if one uses it to water the garden there's flowers or vegetables involved, whereas in the UK that's just whatever land directly surrounds one's home. But if I went to water my yard (UK: garden) you might be picturing a paved expanse the likes of a parking lot. We're definitely two peoples divided by a common tongue :-). I won't EvEn get into the British horror at the Southern menu items of grits or iced tea ...

Yeah, we got drought for 5-6 weeks, but now we are in a monsoon period. <shrug> plus ca change, plus la meme chose. Can't go canoeing now on account of the gullywasher, last week couldn't go on account the creek was dry.

So, Ravells, when a "Hose-Pipe" ban is in effect does that mean you can water stuff using a bucket or pail? I'm sure it doesn't but it seems funny they they ban the Hose pipe. To me it sounds like you would be arrested for walking down the street brandishing a garden hose

LOL - I imagine a video of some thuggish looking youth walking down the street carrying a coiled hose pipe on his shoulder while Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law" is blaring.

Note: old school rock song from my younger days
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well ... I haven't really noticed summer. Here in the Netherlands the weather is typical of what it would be in Slovenia in April ... so, sweater days, heavy rain interspersed with hot, sunny days when you can take your T-shirt off (and get sunburned. Damned UV. I'd think coming from a warmer clime, I wouldn't burn so easily ... yeah, right. I think I fry better than 90% of these Dutchies). On the other hand, yesterday they had heavy hailstorms back home, in one town about 200mm of H2O, mostly frozen, fell in one storm and they had flash floods of a slurry of ice-water and hail-stones rushing through the streets. The next day they used bulldozers to shovel away the ice.

As to summer - I'm hoping the weather is nice and friendly in early August, since I'm roadtripping off to a metal festival back home, for some good old fashioned Korpiklaani style* amusement.

*damned crazy little Finnish forest people ...

Blog Entries

You can hose the lawn or an opponent or pick up a hose. And you can pipe icing on a cake and smoke a pipe. So I dunno, both are nouns and verbs I reckon.

Jax, yes you can water your yard with a bucket over here and not get fined but doing so with a hose and you could be. Yeah it IS that silly. I always thought that it would be fun to make a motorized conveyor of buckets ending in a catapult system to water the lawn which would be completely legal if not morally good. In any case the last time we had a serious drought and had a wide ranging hose pipe ban the famous race course at Ascot were using hoses to water the track to keep the 'going' soft enough for the horses... oh yeah, lest we not forget that one. Many businesses are exempt from the ban.

And you only get done for using a hose pipe not carrying it though I am not sure what happens if you connect it to your own water storage tank...

LOL, I love the idea of the bucket catapult
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123