Again - this is a really old thread but thought I'd put in some things that I have played and which are somewhat decent as games. :-)

Champions is good but also SuperHero 2044. SuperHero is where they invented the OAF (Obviously Accessible Foci). So things like Green Lantern's ring is an OAF. Dr. Fate's Ankh was an OAF, and so forth.

Traveller. One of the first Space Frontier games. Has about six booklets. I knew people who played this for years.

Bushido. I think this was by the same people who made Traveller. Set in Feudal Japan. I have been told it was awesome to play. Never did myself though.

Call of Chtulu (spelling?) : Lose your mind and then the game. :-)

Empire of the Petal Throne (EPT for short). M. A. Barker's masterpiece that was stolen by TSR and returned to him by his friend and magician (who I can't remember his name but used to be friends with him back in the 1980s). The magician friend was credited with the invention of high impact dice (and is where he made his fortune which allowed him to buy the rights to EPT from TSR and return them to M. A. Barker). Gawd! I wish I could remember his name. He really was a very nice person. EPT is one of the most blood thirsty games ever produced. This is how it is played: Arrive at town, say the wrong thing, die. Arrive at town, walk on the wrong part of the road, die. Arrive at town, look at someone the wrong way, die. Repeat. Lots of times. Finally - you may actually die on an adventure. Honest. It IS a lot of fun to play! Just run if you hear bells or smell cinnamon. Wait! It's too late if you smell cinnamon. Don't breath through your nose. Just run. Now. Quickly.

There also was a recent release of an entire compendium of a game released under the open source license that I was looking at the other day. It has a lot of depth to it. A friend I sent the link to said that it read a lot like my game rules (which have never been published but have been copyrighted since the early 1980s). If I remember the name of it I might post it here.

Anyway. I know this is REALLY an old set of posts but I didn't see these classics on the list.