I find it rather difficult to comment on this map. I guess others have the same problem - that's why this piece gets so few (hah, no!) responses yet.

First things first: I don't think it is a bad map. I think it might be quite difficult to do a bad map with Gidde's tut, and there are no real problems with the way you used it.

But somehow it does not look right... and I have a hard time to find out why.

Some ideas:
- the idea with the crossing mountains in the west looks quite good... but as I zoom in, this effect disappears. That gave me the hint: your symbols are spaced to far from each other. You might want to bring them closer together, form real mountain chains and forest clusters.
- related with that: the relative scale of icons seems a little off. The trees are slightly too big in relation to the mountains... this again makes the image seem unbalanced.
- again with the relative size: the relative size of mountainous areas, river-deltas and swamps seems to be off. Depending on the size of that whole island / continent, the swamps would span whole counties.
- lastly, regarding the rivers: this is a personal preference - I don't like the tapered river script in this style. It results in very clear and very mathematically curvy lines... too digital for my taste. But I found it rather simple to hand-taper rivers, even without a tablet.

But don't that list discourage you! This is a good start you had here.

I hope some of the more experienced mappers will chime in now and add their opinion.