Thread: Atlas of Terra Antigua

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just what I said: you have a rectangular piece of paper. There is a continent on the left, a continent in the middle, usually divided top and bottom, and one on the right. It comes from the (understandable) thought of "Oh, I have all that space to fill."

(08/15 means something like "standard", "common", "usual")
    Last edited by Freodin; 07-13-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Phae O' Brien's Avatar

The placement of my continents has to do with the background story of the world, it has nothing to do with me just filling empty space.
    Because I've studied geology, I placed continents where they would make teutonic sense (fantasy world or not, I applied my knowledge of earth formation in order to create a geologically believable world and not just something unique but completely random).

Thanks a lot for the comment!
    “Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”Neil Gaiman

I was interested in that expression also. Apparently it's a German colloquialism. I looked up the etymology and found this: "The number is derived from a machinegun used in WWI named MG 08/15.
    Because the soldiers had intensive training on this gun the number was referred as a standard procedure."

Now, I like the texture you have on your map. Have you thought about onshore winds and marine humidity? I'm looking at the wide peninsula of the western continent and it appears desert right up to the coast. This may be a question of the scale making it invisible, but I would think a bit of the levantine green would be noticeable. I'm not sure, but would a thin margin hinting at some hardy growth look more natural?