Thread: AutoRealm coloring?

Question AutoRealm coloring?

I just start making map two days ago, the software I use is AutoRealm.
    It was quite easy to grasp the basic, but now I'm having problem with coloring the map. I can't find the option of some sort anywhere, can anyone point it out to me? The object can only have one color at a time and its impossible to differentiate between deep/shallow water, or higher/lower ground level. At the moment I'm settling with black and white.

Here's the map I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Hi there. I don't have this program (and I'm sure that those who do just haven't seen your posts yet) but I did some web searching and found this response to a similar problem:

you may have the Toggle Overlay Tags "on". That would color every object on that overlay a single color and I believe the default is dark blue for the Design overlay which is the default "first" layer. The Toggle Overlay Tag button should be on your left and kind of looks like the corner of a ziggurat with each level a different shade of blue. Try clicking on that and see what happens.
    If that makes sense to what you're trying to do, why don't you try it and see if that helps. If not, just reply back... I'm sure between all of us we can help you figure this out.

That is used to mark different layer with different color, but thanks for the help

Blog Entries

Oh, I thought that was what you were asking.

I'm not sure what, exactly, you are trying to do?

EDIT:

Okay, so I downloaded the program, and it's IRRITATING. I see your problem :/

The only thing I've been able to do is make 2 toned shapes... and only if it's a closed object, and never more than 2 colors!

And I can't get 2 colors for the background... not even land and water.

Here's what I've done, if it helps at all (sorry it's so messy):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autorealm tones.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	340.9 KB 
ID:	60499

The 2 tones on the mountain/messed up triangle thingy/whatever and the land mass... it ONLY works if you hold shift the whole time. I taped my shift key down, because I was getting a cramp

By going to "Drawing > Symbols > Define Selection as a new symbol" I was able to grab my land mass, and layer it over the top of my original land mass. By changing the size and *slightly* changing the colors, and also creating new objects on top of those I was able to create a multi-hued land mass, although the colors only tend to change inward, and I could NOT get them to blend.. I was NOT able to change the tones on the objects this way. I'm not sure why.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autorealm land.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	60500

All in all, unless I'm missing something too, it would be MUCH simpler to finish your black and white map in auto-realms, and then add color in another program... even something like MS Paint would make it a lot easier. :/
    Last edited by Jalyha; 01-21-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: tested stuff

That's as far as I got, too :/ Thanks for your effort, I think I'll recolor it in other program. Any suggestion?

Blog Entries

Honestly.. since the designs are fairly simple, you could probably get away with Paint.

I've been using GIMP since I got here, though, and I'm pretty addicted. Plus, it's free.

I used to use SAI for my artwork, but I don't have the money for it right now... it's around $50 and you have to convert to yen, and it's a big hassle. I think most people here use some version of photoshop... but..

Just for coloring in a map you already made? I'd say go with GIMP...

**Personal opinions, though.