Thread: How do I calculate sunrise/sunset times for non-Earth planets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I would most definitely be interested. It's a shame (if an unsurprising one) that there hasn't been any other interest. And that basic trig is one thing I'm hoping to learn, since I don't know how to apply it to this problem at the moment. Sadly, I lack the expertise to program anything, so I doubt I could turn it into automated form even after I learn the math.
    tbh i think it would be fastest to blag it with a sine. take the sine of the date as a % of the year and set your minimum and maximum for summer and winter. you'd be close enough just to linear fade between them.

I have actually found a fair amount on the way it is calculated on Earth now. I still have to read more to understand it, but I think I have at least figured out how to use novel time scales, which is to define them in terms of angle. 1 hour on Earth (a sidereal hour) is equivalent 15 degrees around the axis of rotation. You can simply redefine an hour in terms of the number of degrees out of 360 the planet rotates in that time period. If you know the angular velocity of its rotation, then I think it should be easy to use this value in the 'normal' Earth equations.

This is very useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_equation

I should have known to go to Wikipedia first.