Thread: Diversified fantasy map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

by different colours do you mean the actual map or maybe border/key colours?

i think stronger text (maybe larger too) would be helpful as its quite hard to see as it is.

realism is pretty subjective though i think adding different textures to moutnains, forests, seas etc might help (though you have a great base to start from).

for this scale id say top-down is better than isometric.

Guild Novice

Oopsy,

with realistic I didn't mean the textures etc.. I meant the positions of hills and rivers (for example), because they seem placed randomly. I'm pretty sure that in nature there are no such combinations of forests, mountains and rivers.

But I think I found something usefull. A tutorial about placing rivers and mountains. I'm working on the map at the moment.

With the colours I mean everything.
    The sea seems too bright and some mountains are in a pretty high contrast to the ground etc.. I guess there are millions of mistakes.

You are right about the text. Hard to see. But I don't know how to place them so that the cities etc. stay visible. I guess there is a tutorial for this, too. In my opinion the northern part is nice (except the woods) maybe I should make only desert in the north. And the south-west part seems legit, too.

What I hate is the complete eastern part. And there are still important locations missing. I think I messed the size up. I mean ... the sizes of the mountains and the distances between the objects seem too big.

The map will be top down ... what I meant for the perspective is this:
    A: Variant 1 (Everything is drawn from the top view)
    B: Variant 2 (The hills etc. are drawn from the left but the map and the rivers from the top)

EDIT: Added the basic new modified map. What you think about that?
    EDIT: Now I also added some colours. What do you think, should I add forests as extra objects or just darken the gras?
    EDIT: Okay, now I added the symbols. I connected them with streets, too. But it looks pretty ****ty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karte III Vorlage.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	46664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karte III Vorlage.jpg 
Views:	3128 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	46692  
    Last edited by Methusalem; 07-18-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Updated the modified map