Well obviously I'm interested in that news !!! I'll look into that. I think with webgl then VDale could be ported to a browser. But if were all using javascript to run the processing to get the images ready for webgl's presentation then its too slow. I was working on a port to linux in the hope of getting it running on a Raspberry PI tho. That little board seems perfect for the app. It has a net socket and the Broadcom GPU has 25GFlops which I think ought to have enough texture shader capacity to run it at a decent speed. Since the board is powered with just 2 watts then you could run it as a server all day and night and host your world on it over the web and connect up more R-Pis to it in the usual VTT kind of way. I want one for my car as much as anything. I want my own SatNav with OpenStreetMap images plus many custom photos, images and misc maps I can add to it.

Looking at the video of bitmanagement then it looks more like a 3D environment viewer running in the browser so you can go into places and look at stuff. The reason my app was 2D was that I didn't think people like role players would be able to author their own material in 3D whereas lots of people create 2D maps and artwork and can scan, photograph it or make it digitally in 2D. I think its for this reason why ESRI need more people to make content for its applications.

I saw this today which is unrelated to maps and art but is showcased at SIGGRAPH. I liked this video a lot !!!
http://www.alecrivers.com/positioncorrectingtools/
Hard to create 3D stuff with that of course but for 2D thats well cool and probably quite cheap to make.