Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the High-empire of Korachan and the Inner Sea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fantastic job! I love it!

I've one tiny comment that I'm sort of embarrassed to voice cause your so much better than me! ..it's the parchment effect on the legend / key, I think its a bit harsh and makes the smaller text a bit difficult to read.. should it not be the same parchment effect as the rest of the map was drawn on anyway, or were you going for a 'stuck on label' idea?

...anyway, an absolutely awesome job on this as all your maps - you must have the patience of several saints as far as I can tell!!!

Gorgeous. Just fabulous!

Guild Novice

This is incredible. Awesome work. Im really curious about your idea generation; are you following any sort of physical geography, like plate tectonics, to determine where your mountain ranges end up? And the names are awesome...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrforesm View Post
    This is incredible. Awesome work. Im really curious about your idea generation; are you following any sort of physical geography, like plate tectonics, to determine where your mountain ranges end up? And the names are awesome...
    That's the one thing i 'regret' about this map - there was originally little thought to plate tectonics and i only started thinking about such things after the ranges and coasts and features had already become well-established (to me at least...). The original map, much like the story that presaged it, was made up as i went along, with little thought to such things as climate, wind belts, tectonics etc. Put it this way: I'd do things very differently if i was starting this project from scratch now. As I'm trying to make this a fantasy world thats as realistic as possible (economies, politics, governments etc.) despite having very strange fantasy elements (dead gods whose dreams warp the land, 'magic' etc.) and i think an easy way of grounding it in reality is making the world itself - the continents, coastlines, terrain, etc. as realistic as possible.

I did try retroactively changing some things to make them more realistic, like in Venthir - which i realised needed highlands/mountains to create a rainshadow effect to justify having the rather large Anubain desert S-W of its location. Though largely it remains unchanged (despite some glaring mistakes to do with climate and rainshadows), though I've tried to keep forests in plausable regions, while keeping in mind that its a largely deforested world. also, the world myths detailing creation and cosomogony are pretty much set in stone by now and I can always assume the world really was created by the gods, with plate tectonics beginning to take effect after that point (a few million years at most). what am i saying... the gods DID create the world!

As an example of some of the changes I've devised, here are three attachments, representing river valleys and deposits, tectonics and biomes. there try to explain some of the land's features, though keep in mind they're based on a version of the map that isn't 100% up to date, though they're still helpful to look through while I'm writing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elyden_rivers.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	50980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elyden_tectonics.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	50981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elyden_biomes.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	50982

Absolutely amazing.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    That's the one thing i 'regret' about this map - there was originally little thought to plate tectonics and i only started thinking about such things after the ranges and coasts and features had already become well-established (to me at least...). The original map, much like the story that presaged it, was made up as i went along, with little thought to such things as climate, wind belts, tectonics etc. Put it this way: I'd do things very differently if i was starting this project from scratch now. As I'm trying to make this a fantasy world thats as realistic as possible (economies, politics, governments etc.) despite having very strange fantasy elements (dead gods whose dreams warp the land, 'magic' etc.) and i think an easy way of grounding it in reality is making the world itself - the continents, coastlines, terrain, etc. as realistic as possible.

I did try retroactively changing some things to make them more realistic, like in Venthir - which i realised needed highlands/mountains to create a rainshadow effect to justify having the rather large Anubain desert S-W of its location. Though largely it remains unchanged (despite some glaring mistakes to do with climate and rainshadows), though I've tried to keep forests in plausable regions, while keeping in mind that its a largely deforested world. also, the world myths detailing creation and cosomogony are pretty much set in stone by now and I can always assume the world really was created by the gods, with plate tectonics beginning to take effect after that point (a few million years at most). what am i saying... the gods DID create the world!

As an example of some of the changes I've devised, here are three attachments, representing river valleys and deposits, tectonics and biomes. there try to explain some of the land's features, though keep in mind they're based on a version of the map that isn't 100% up to date, though they're still helpful to look through while I'm writing.

Name:	Elyden_rivers.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	50980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elyden_tectonics.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	50981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elyden_biomes.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	50982

Im so sorry...it took me over three years to see this. Thank you for the response. I only recently just got back into cartographersguild and just saw that you responded, and with some great information! Thank you! I would like to study your map in more detail. It is amazing.

Wow. Simply amazing the detail and complexity, it's... wonderful... it puts in perspective how much there is to learn.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Do you think you could do this map in a equirectangular grid? Without the strong curvature of the grid and therefore map? I'd really like to see it in the (for me) normal projection.
    here you go:

Name:	globe skin.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	47545

Quote Originally Posted by fifty View Post
    I've one tiny comment that I'm sort of embarrassed to voice cause your so much better than me! ..it's the parchment effect on the legend / key, I think its a bit harsh and makes the smaller text a bit difficult to read.. should it not be the same parchment effect as the rest of the map was drawn on anyway, or were you going for a 'stuck on label' idea?
    the idea with the cartouche was to make it look different to the rest of the map. the effect wi was going for was a mix between hand-painted and printed and my assumption was that the cartouche was a copperplate print on the map itself, though the texture can easily be toned down on the original PSD.

this is amazing! Beautiful work.

Masterpiece indeed! I especially love your mountains.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast